Wednesday, May 6, 2020

I am the art.....not the artist

I have been told in the past that i have an inflated sense of self worth ( i still don't see how that is a bad thing) but little do they know that that which can sometimes be a facade is from years of masking self doubt. It reminds me of a meme i shared with a girlfriend who has an equally inflated sense of self and in it one girl tells  another ' excuse me , you're blocking my view, to which the one that was told replies' i am the view'.

Growing up i was often told i couldn't do one thing or another for different reasons. At age 11 i was told i could not own a bike because i was a girl(insert emoji of widened eyes). I was so distraught cos i thought that girls that ride were the coolest ever.( my perverted mind just drifted abit, but i am back). I shared this with my younger brother, my baby, and he told me not to worry, he would teach me using his.Today i proudly wear a scar on my upper right leg from my first lesson and i am the only one of my sisters that can ride. can you smell my pride from over there?

Fast forward to my first year of employment. It was in a bank. The thought of strutting in pencil tight skirts and sky high heels excited me more at the time than the actual position i was given to fill and best believe the skirts were tight, dresses customized to fit and heels sky high.
This one day, a lady walks up to my till and recognizes my name from my signature( very cool signature i must add. let me insert for dramatic effect)

PS i text and write exactly as i speak so you can visualize and audiolize( is that even a word) as you read.
where ws i? so yes, this lady reads my name off of my signature and asks if i share a name with my dad to which i respond in the affirmative. He happened to be one of the heads of the institution for which she worked. She looked at me goggle eyed and asked me why i bother to work because i clearly do not need to ( her insinuation was that i was a trust fund baby that had absolutely no reason to be toiling away). I smiled and wished her the best for the rest of her day. This just like the bicycle incident it ignited a hunger in me so strong that i decided to defy all odds. I was going to be the best i could at everything i did and climb that career ladder in the shortest time possible and i did just that....sadly i got derailed years later but i am proven my point to myself at least. I will not allow myself to be confined to the limits set by others for me.

Fast forward again, at 23 i started my first business. Anyone that knows me knows that i love to shop and i will find any excuse to justify the habit. Either retail therapy or 'just because it's tuesday'. It used to be so bad that i would have one item in 4 different colors. I am older...and broker now so i cant afford to...or can i?( naughty side eye). In the bank we always had ladies coming through to deliver online orders( yes it started way back kids). This was a bank with an 80:20 female to male ratio so we were quite a number and those were daily transactions. It got me thinking. I love to shop, i know what looks good on different types and i can get paid for this.....Eureka! and so, Bhuti was born. A retail clothing business. It was mobile hence Bhuti because it was in the boot of my car. I convinced my clients who comprised of the female bank staff and later customers that i was selling not just clothes but an experience. I laugh at how far back my marketing skills were horned. It worked with an insane ROI. I had turned my passion into profit. To think that years later i am being taught this in class that i executed in my earlier life.

This one day, i get to talking to an uncle of mine. I was intrigued by the bouncing castle business. it was new to the Ugandan Market and there was such a fad around it. Every party had to have a bouncing castle and not only did he not think the business was profitable, he didn't think that i was cut out for it. It was alot of work , needed one to be fully invested and on the ground. Light bulb moment. Challenge had been accepted. At 25 i used all my savings and borrowed some and ordered for not 1 but 3 bouncing castles from the UK. That was a true definition of faith. i tracked them online till they arrived and were delivered to my dads house where i lived at the time. Baby Amor was born. I worked in the bank Monday to Saturday afternoon as a branch operations manager and custodian of the vault keys which meant i was always the last one to live then delivered , setup and manned the bouncing castles on the weekends. We got to a point of being booked weekends on end. I was constantly exhausted but i loved it, the money was good and i was defying the odds. They said she couldn't so she did.


I was young and fired up. For those that see some passion and hunger left in me, that was the genesis. I say some because it's not what it used to be but this mind is at work. You will hear about me.

Adios mis amores

No comments:

I am the art.....not the artist

I have been told in the past that i have an inflated sense of self worth ( i still don't see how that is a bad thing) but little do the...